The insatiable demand for raw materials to meet the growing global economy drives the mining and primary metals industry. The mining must be conducted around-the-clock to be economically competitive. The downstream production of pure metals from ore requires blast furnaces, which by their nature, are a never-put-out-the-fire operation. These industries require a skilled and attentive 24/7 workforce operating expensive equipment in hazardous environments.
CIRCADIAN® has worked on six continents with both open face and underground mining operations.
With 30 years of experience of workforce issues in aluminum, copper, gold, and other primary metal issues CIRCADIAN® brings world-class expertise. While capital upgrades continue to production, it often reduces the physicality of work within modern smelters, foundries, and steel mills. Even with state-of-the-art equipment, primary metals operations still have some of the most demanding jobs in industry today.
Workloads, heat, and humidity have most of the industry operating with shorter 8-hour schedules. Though the shorter shift makes sense on the surface, it can require operators to work twice as many days per year than 12-hour shift workers. Ironically, during the hottest periods of the year it is common to find primary metals employees pulling 12-hour shifts 7 days in a row.
Casting, rolling and all other aspects of metal product manufacturing rely on our expertise. Equipment improvements are continuing to increase the length of operational campaigns. All too often these productivity increases are not supported with appropriate changes to employee staffing levels or work schedules. Many high-tech foundries continue to increase worker fatigue and sometimes to dangerous levels.
How CIRCADIAN® can help you
- Shift Schedule Optimization. A unique approach to involve all concerned in designing the best shift schedule for the specific requirements of each workforce in each foundry. CIRCADIAN® collaborates with both managers and employees to identify a set of ideal schedule solutions to meet business and family/social needs.
- Staffing Level Analysis. Scientific review of optimal employee deployment considering job requirements, length of campaigns, skill sets, financial constraints, and human design limitations. Using advanced analysis techniques, CIRCADIAN® can identify the optimal staffing levels for your operation considering the fluctuations in demand that are inherent in the mining industry.
- Training: Managing a Shiftwork Lifestyle. A means of providing the shift workers and their families with a useable understanding of how the body functions in a 24/7 world. These programs assist shiftworkers with managing their personal health and minimize healthcare costs by providing proven tips and countermeasures to get the most out of life.
- Fatigue Risk Assessment. Understand the potential costs, risks, and liabilities created by staffing levels, workloads, and overall procedures pertaining to the mining 24/7 industry.
- Fatigue risk management systems. Comprehensive fatigue management programs will map out the course of action to maintain high safety standards while reducing costs associated with fatigue-related errors and incidents.