Finding the right balance between logistical efficiency and employee fatigue is a constant challenge across all modes of transportation. For 25 years CIRCADIAN® has worked across every transportation sector to find creative win-win solutions to dispatching, scheduling, training and staffing issues.
The emergence of a truly global 24/7 economy has led to a remarkable growth in container shipments, ship fleet expansion and the expansion of ports worldwide. At the same time there has been a constant drive to increase operational efficiency through automation and reduced manning on vessels and on the dock.
In this environment, watch standing schedules, flexible work hours in ports and uncertain arrival schedules create special challenges for maintaining the performance, safety and morale of the workforce.
Fatigue risk management in bus, subway, light rail, and commuter rail operations requires a system wide assessments and training program. Finding the right balance between logistical efficiency and employee fatigue is a constant challenge across all modes of transportation. For over 30 years, CIRCADIAN® has worked across every transportation sector to find creative win-win solutions to dispatching, scheduling, training, and staffing issues.
With crew scheduling optimization software, fatigue risk assessments, labor-management resolutions need a wide fatigue risk management and employee training. Railroads face the huge challenge of improving efficiency without compromising safety. By providing competitive pricing and prompt delivery, railroads have enormous investments in their personnel and their equipment.
The trucking industry is faced with confusing, frequently changing, and excessively restrictive Hours of Service rules. The prospect of mandatory electronic on-board recorders (EOBRs) and the competitive challenge of the NAFTA-driven entry of Mexican trucks are just two of the many complications. CIRCADIAN® provides the competitive edge in steering through these problems. We have 30 years of experience helping trucking companies find effective solutions in reducing accident costs by up to 75%. We also cut driver turnover in half and increase operational efficiency. We provide driver fatigue training programs, fatigue risk assessments, and expert advice in applying for exemptions and waivers from HoS regulations.
Logistics and Warehousing
Global supply chains, distribution centers, and just-in time logistics depend critically on the performance of the 24/7 workforce. The biggest risks and costs occur when systems are over-optimized without taking human factors into account. Stretched beyond their limit, 24/7 employees can become more unreliable, error prone, more absent, and more accident prone.
CIRCADIAN® is expert at providing the critical needed balance between optimized organization and human performance. There is a sweet spot and we can help you find it. Our in-depth understanding of all modes of transportation, suppliers, and manufacturing operations gives us vital insights in how you can function seamlessly 24/7 with high functioning employees throughout the system.
How CIRCADIAN® can help you:
- Shiftwork Opportunity Assessment. With 25 years of experience in every conceivable type of shiftwork operation, CIRCADIAN® can help you find the low hanging fruit that will bring immediate returns. Managers are often too close to their own operation to see the opportunities or may only have limited experience of possible alternatives. CIRCADIAN® has the benefit of solving 24/7 scheduling and workforce management, fatigue and alertness; staffing efficiencies; and policies and procedures.
- Shift Schedule Optimization. 24/7 employees care about their work and duty-rest schedules almost as much as their paycheck, and sometimes more. But there are so many opinions and false assumptions that finding the best schedule for your operations can be a real challenge. For 25 years CIRCADIAN® has guided thousands of companies through a well-defined and highly effective process that creates employee buy-in and achieves management objectives.
- Fatigue Risk Assessment (FRA). To quantify fatigue and alertness issues. Did you know that 10% of your drivers contribute 70% of the excess risks and costs? CIRCADIAN®’s CAS software can help you figure out every day who is at risk and how to address the problem.
- Fatigue Risk Management Systems. Comprehensive fatigue management programs will map out the course of action to maintain high safety standards while reducing costs associated with fatigue-related errors and incidents.
- Managing a Railroad Lifestyle (MRL). A robust, down-to-earth education designed for rail employees and their unique issues.
- Freight Rail Crew Optimization Software (FRCOS). To allow you to assess multiple scheduling and traffic scenarios from both operational and financial points of view.
Education and Training programs for drivers and dispatchers. Fatigue management is an ongoing process. CIRCADIAN®’s train-the-trainer programs give your company the expertise and licensed materials to embed fatigue risk training in your culture forever.
- Expanding to 7-Day Operations. CIRCADIAN® helps companies realize the considerable returns and increased efficiency of 24/7 operations without losing the critical support of the workforce. By helping with all steps from developing the business case and transition plan, selling it to the employees and implementing win-win operationally efficient schedules and employee policies we ensure that the ROI is maximized.
Sleep Disorders Screening. Sleep disorders, including sleep apnea, are common and place drivers and your company at high risk. CIRCADIAN® offers cost effective driver screening and management of the risk of these treatable conditions.
- Technology Assessment. CIRCADIAN® helps you select the alertness monitoring technology most suitable for your operations. In our university-based research labs we assess and evaluate technologies from many vendors.
- Defending against human factors, error & injury lawsuits. With its expert team, CIRCADIAN® Expert Services consults and provides testimony on accident, workers compensation and product liability litigation related to human factors, fatigue, impairment and working hours.
- Litigation, Labor-Management Hearings and Arbitrations. Expert testimony, scientifically objective analyses and support in win-win negotiations. With its expert team, CIRCADIAN® Expert Services consults and provides testimony on accident, workers compensation and product liability litigation related to human factors, fatigue, impairment and working hours.
- Training: Managing a Shiftwork Lifestyle. These programs aid shiftworkers with managing their personal health, which will help minimize healthcare costs and reduce turnover and absenteeism.
- Gaining exemptions from Hours of Service. CIRCADIAN® helps trucking companies control their future amidst the confusing and restrictive regulations. We help you design and apply for exemptions from Hours of Service which boost your safety and productivity.
- Proportional Staffing. In many operations workload fluctuates predictably hour by hour over the 168 hours in the week. Equally staffed fixed shifts can be a highly inefficient method of scheduling. CIRCADIAN® helps 24/7 operations achieve enormous gains by matching employee duty to workload and then devising employee-acceptable shift patterns which maximize employee morale and performance.
- Train-the-Trainer. This uses data from the MRL, and provides that information to in-house trainers, who, unlike our experts, are on the scene and available to employees all the time.
- Staffing Level Analysis. Using CIRCADIAN®’s staffing software for transit, we can identify the ideal number of employees and crews to meet operational needs.
Accident/Incident analysis. To prevent future, and understand causes of past, accidents.
- On Site Workshops. To supply in-depth custom investigation and education about your railroad’s CIRCADIAN® -affected issues – and solutions, of course.
Best Practices. Verifies that your railroad engages in the most current regulations.